Books are the best.
I learn so much from being a leader and almost as much from reading great books on leadership.
I’ve always been a reader, even as a child. I’d lay a blanket on the lawn, sprawl out, and read for hours. Fiction, non-fiction, biographies – you name it, I’ll read it if it’s good!
Here are a few of my favorite books on leadership, mindset, self-care, growth, and a few other topics that continue to provide wisdom for me. I hope they do the same for you. So find your local independent bookstore and shop locally!
Books Specifically on Leadership
- Leaders Eat Last – Simon Sinek
- You Can’t Know it All – Wanda T Wallace
- Dare to Lead – Brene Brown
- 100X Leader – Jeremie Kubicek and Steve Cockram
- Questions are the Answer – Hal Halgerson
- Good to Great – Jim Collins
- The Effective Executive – Peter Drucker
- The 21 Irrefutable Traits of a Leader – John Maxwell
Books to help in critical situations
- The Hard Thing about Hard Things – Ben Horowitz
- Grit – Angela Duckworth
- Crucial Conversations – Patterson, Grenny, McMillan, & Switzler
- The Five Dysfunctions of a Team – Patrick Lencioni
Books on Mindset, Self-Care, Productivity
- The 5-Second Rule – Mel Robbins
- Eat that Frog – Brian Tracy
- Atomic Habits – James Clear
- Mindset – Carol S. Dweck, PhD
- Free to Focus – Michael Hyatt
- The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck – Mark Manson
- Rest – Alex Pang
- Necessary Endings – Dr Henry Cloud
- 15 Invaluable Laws of Growth – John Maxwell
Books Particularly Good for Women
- Lean In – Sheryl Sandberg
- 13 Things Mentally Strong Women Don’t Do – Amy Morin
- Confidence Code – Katty Kay & Claire Shipman
Books on my list that I can’t wait to read
- Leadership in Turbulent Times – Doris Kearns Goodwin
- Everything is Figureoutable – Marie Forleo
- Fear is not the Boss of You – Jennifer Allwood
Paula Chapulis is a Whole Person Certified Leadership Coach.